Name of Institution: Penn Foster Career School
Address: 925 Oak Street, Scranton, PA 18515
- Year Founded: 1890
- First Accredited: 1956
- Accreditation Expires: January 2015
CEO: Frank F. Britt
President/COO: Joe Gagnon
Penn Foster Career School is accredited for non-degree granting postsecondary programs by the Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA (215-662-5603 www.css-msa.org). Penn Foster Career School is also accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC), which is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency. The Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council is also a recognized member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
Penn Foster Career School is licensed by the Pennsylvania State Board of Private Licensed Schools.
Mission & Description
Institution Mission Statement
The mission of Penn Foster is to empower adult learners to advance or change their careers, learn a new skill, or gain personal satisfaction. The school strives to fulfill this mission by providing breadth and depth of courseware, applicable technology, and a wide array of flexible services aimed at the needs of the adult learner. Programs teach current marketplace skills which prepare for a wide variety of entry-level vocational positions. The mission is supported by an admissions policy that allows students with appropriate prior education to enroll in programs without regard to race, religion, gender, age, color, national origin, or physical disability. The school assesses fulfillment of its mission and achievement of institutional effectiveness through ongoing studies of student learning, measurement of student satisfaction, and evaluation of the career outcomes of graduates.
Areas of Special Focus
Allied Health, Trade, Automotive, Natural Health, Business, Technology, and Education.
Description of Institution
Penn Foster Career School is one of the oldest and largest distance learning institutions in the world. The school provides programs and services that are designed to meet the lifelong learning needs of the adult learner. Programs of study lead to career-specific diplomas.
- Student Demographic Profile:
- 70% Female
- Career School Average Age: 31
- Courses/Programs: See here.
- Average Program Tuition:
- Average Career Diploma Program is less than $1,000.
- Average Career Certificate Program is less than $500.
- Average Completion/Graduation Rate* for Students: 45.3%
- Click here to view a list of Penn Foster Programs and completion rates.
- *Based on 16,623 graduates from selected enrollment periods during 2008-2010.
- Percentage of Students surveyed* who responded that they –
- Achieved their learning goals: 94.5%
- Would recommend the institution to a friend: 97.2%
- Were satisfied with their studies: 98.6%
*Based on 1,000 2010 graduates.