Learn new job skills or refine your existing business management knowledge with Penn Foster Career School’s Business Management Essentials Certificate Program. You’ll learn topics such as the principles of management, math for business and finance, and business and technical writing. Learn how you can advance in your current position, or improve your small business’s performance by better understanding the essentials of business and finance.¹ With Penn Foster Career School, you train at home and at a pace that’s right for you. And, you can complete the program in as little as five months!
Credits earned in this course may be transferred to several degree and undergraduate certificate programs at Penn Foster College, licensed in the state of Arizona.
Program Goal and Outcomes
The Business Management Essentials certificate provides students with new job skills or refines existing business management knowledge to advance in a current position, improve performance in a current business or prepare for further training.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Discuss the various functions of business including competition, economics, accounting, technology and information systems; marketing; management through the phases of starting and growing a business; management of financial and human resources; along with the ethical and social responsibilities of business
- Discuss both the business environment and the manager's role in decision making, planning, organizing, leading, controlling, and developing an ethical perspective
- Demonstrate understanding of basic mathematical operations including percentages, discounts, interest, present worth, sinking funds, installment buying, pricing, depreciation, investments, insurance, use of symbols and their applications, equations and formulas, and the importance of statistics
- Demonstrate methods of organizing material for a professional setting by composing business memos, emails, outlines, reports, and proposals using the ABC method
Introduction to Business
This course is designed to introduce you to basic business concepts, theories, and perspectives. It will serve as a basis for further learning in your program.
- Understand the principles of business ethics and basic economics.
- Compare the different types of business ownership.
- Describe the basics of organizational structure.
- Identify the differences between management and leadership.
- Understand the importance of information technology in today’s business environments.
Principles of Management
This course will review the functions of management and its role in planning, leading, organizing, motivating, and controlling.
- Define and correctly use business terms.
- Explain the importance of communication.
- Identify the steps of managerial decision making.
- Explain the relevance of the basic skills required by managers.
- Describe major components of various management perspectives.
- Discuss the ever-increasing employee diversity and the management activities required for the changing workforce.
Mathematics for Business and Finance
This course will hone your math skills so you are able to successfully use them in business and finance industries.
- Use percentages, discounts, and interest formulas effectively.
- Analyze present worth and sinking funds.
- Understand how to buy in installments and price merchandise.
- Explain depreciation, insurance, equations, and formulas.
- Discuss investments and statistics.
Business and Technical Writing
Learn how to write business and technical documents.
- Organize your material logically and systematically.
- Use action verbs effectively and construct paragraphs.
- Conduct research and document sources.
You will need high-speed internet access to begin your program. You will need access to a Microsoft® Windows® based computer running Windows XP® or later or an Apple® Mac® computer running OS X® or later, and an email account to complete your program with Penn Foster.
To view a Business Management Essentials sample lesson, click here.
Business Management Essentials Program Details
In the Penn Foster Career School Business Management Essentials training program, you’ll cover topics such as:
- The principles of management
- Effective business communications
- Mathematics for business and finance
State Licensing Information
Licensing and/or certification requirements for jobs in this field are not the same in every state and may include educational, testing, and/or experiential requirements beyond those offered by your Penn Foster Program. You should contact the state professional licensing board or similar regulatory body in the state(s) where you plan to work to determine their requirements before enrolling in your Program. Please click here for contact information for state licensing/regulatory boards and certain industry licensing information.