HVAC Training Program Overview
Develop your skills with the Penn Foster Career School Automotive HVAC Essentials Certificate Program. This online program can help you prepare for industry certification and enhance your skills for employment in a garage, dealership, auto supply store, or public transportation. Penn Foster Career School can help you gain relevant industry knowledge and skills, like heating and cooling systems, servicing, EPA regulations, testing, and troubleshooting. And as an Automotive HVAC Essentials student with Penn Foster Career School, you train at a pace that's right for you, gaining new skills in a flexible, convenient way!
Program Goal and Outcomes
To enhance skills for employment in the automotive field in the areas of heating and cooling systems, servicing, EPA regulations, testing, and troubleshooting.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Describe the principles and functions of HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air‐conditioning) systems and explain how testing and service procedures are performed on these systems
Starting Your Program
Succeed by learning how to use your Penn Foster program.
- Understand how to use your Student Portal.
- Access the Penn Foster Community and use it to find answers.
- Connect with Penn Foster on various social media sites.
Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning
Today's automobiles and light trucks have sophisticated HVAC systems that need to be serviced regularly.
- Describe how an automotive heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning system works.
- Explain the air-conditioning refrigeration cycle and describe the operation of the expansion valve and orifice tube.
- Learn how to service, diagnose, and repair heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning problems.
Additional Course Materials
Textbooks: Automotive Technology: Principles, Diagnosis, and Service
As you know this is an online academic program. This means you will need high-speed internet access to begin your program. In addition, you will need access to a Microsoft® Windows® based computer running Windows 7® or later or an Apple® Mac® computer running OS X® or later, and an email account to participate in and complete your program.
To view an Automotive HVAC Essentials sample lesson, click here.
Automotive HVAC Essentials Program Details
In the Penn Foster Career School Automotive HVAC Essentials training program you’ll cover topics such as:
- Automotive engine heating and cooling systems
- Air-conditioning systems basics
- Rules, EPA regulations, and safety practices for working with refrigerants
- Troubleshooting techniques of automotive heating and air-conditioning assemblies
ASE Certification Preparation
This program will help to prepare students to sit for the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) A7 Heating & Air Conditioning certification exam.
State Licensing Information
Licensing and/or certification requirements for jobs in this field are not the same in every state and may include educational, testing, and/or experiential requirements beyond those offered by your Penn Foster Program. You should contact the state professional licensing board or similar regulatory body in the state(s) where you plan to work to determine their requirements before enrolling in your Program. Please click here for contact information for state licensing/regulatory boards and certain industry licensing information.