Transfer Legal Transcriptionist Credits | Penn Foster Career School

Transfer Credits for the Legal Transcriptionist Program

Why Penn Foster Career School?

  • Regionally & Nationally Accredited
  • Self-Paced
  • Supportive
  • Low monthly payments

Students at Penn Foster Career School can receive advanced academic credit for some courses within a program, which means you can move through your curriculum faster and earn your certificate or diploma sooner. These include transfer credit from a prior college or university, proficiency examination credit (such as CLEP, AP, or DSST), and prior learning credit obtained through military service or employment and documented with an ACE/JST transcript.

How to Transfer Credit

Transfer credit may, on approval by the Registrar’s office or faculty, be granted to those students who have completed comparable work with a “C” grade or higher from accredited colleges and universities, as evidenced by an official college transcript.

You will need to submit an official transcript from the prior institution where the course(s) was completed for it to be considered for transfer credit. We accept mailed paper transcripts (in the original sealed envelope) as well as electronic transcripts from Parchment and Scrip Safe. Contact your prior school for ordering information and options. If you are mailing a paper transcript, please send it to:

Penn Foster
Student Care Center
925 Oak Street
Scranton, PA 18515

You will need to get your official transcripts to Penn Foster before you start the course you wish to receive Academic credit for.

Some prior courses are evaluated based on the date they were completed and may not transfer if they are considered obsolete. For example, computer courses must have been completed within seven or fewer years for some programs, and three or fewer years for Technology and Graphic Design programs.

To request an evaluation of prior Penn Foster courses into a current career program, please contact Student Care at (888) 427-1000.

Proficiency Exams

Proficiency exams are standardized national exams taken through an official testing service. Prior learning credit may, on approval by the Registrar’s office or faculty, be granted toward your career program if you submit an official transcript of your scores from the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST), the ACT Proficiency Examination Program, or the College Board’s Advanced Placement (AP) program. You must meet the ACE designated passing score for CLEP exams and a score of 3 or higher on an AP exam.

A list of exams available through CLEP can be found here:

A list of exams available through DSST can be found here:

You will need to submit official documentation from the testing agency for exam scores to be considered for prior learning credit. Have this official documentation mailed to:

Penn Foster
Student Care Center
925 Oak Street
Scranton, PA 18515

Prior Learning Credit

Penn Foster Career School considers the guidelines of the College Credit Recommendation Service (CREDIT) of the American Council on Education (ACE). ACE provides guidelines for nontraditional education and learning experiences, such as military service and training programs provided by your employer.

For information about military transcripts, go here:

In addition to evaluating military credit, ACE offers a college credit recommendation service that evaluates training courses sponsored by professional and nonprofit organizations, labor unions, the government, hospitals, businesses, and industry. Credit recommendations are published in the ACE National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs. You can access a searchable list of training programs, certifications, and examinations that have been evaluated by ACE here:

Students Who Receive VA Benefits

In order to receive VA benefits, it is a requirement that you provide all transcripts from prior colleges and universities to Penn Foster Career School for an evaluation of potential transfer credit. It is imperative that you submit all transcripts to us even if you do not expect to receive any transfer credit toward your program. Failure to provide official transcripts from all prior colleges within the first six months of your enrollment may result in the loss of VA benefits. We are also happy to evaluate military training for potential Prior Learning credit. Please submit a JST Transcript (Joint Services) by logging into this site:

Find us on Google+