Florists design and arrange a variety of flowers for events and special occasions. They also understand how to care for potted plants, design home plant displays, and treat common plant problems. Here are a few qualities that effective floral designers have in common:
- Independent: You set your own schedule and can work well on your own.
- Creative: In design you need to think outside of the box and bring in fresh ideas.
- Detail oriented: It’s important to have a sharp eye and remember even small details that will set your designs apart.
After completing my Floral Design Program, I opened my own business, "Floral Trends.” Penn Foster is a great school. They made it easy to achieve my goals. I would encourage future students to consider attending Penn Foster because they are dedicated to their students. Thank you Penn Foster for the opportunity you gave me.
- Trenda A., Floral Design Graduate
I am so happy that I made a career change with the help of Penn Foster. Penn Foster makes it easy, and they are always supportive and encouraging to you. Whenever I had a question, I just gave my instructors a call, and they were very helpful and easy to talk with. The online testing made it convenient, and my shipments always arrived right on time.
- Christina R., Floral Design Graduate
We make sure you have everything you need:
- Graduate debt free with 0% interest
- Books and learning aids including a Floral Designer’s kit, Christmas wreath and boutonniere/corsage kits, bow packages, a color wheel, and wedding order forms
- Study Planner App to customize your study plans and keep track of your progress
- Instructional support from our world-class faculty
- Access 24/7 to Penn Foster’s online campus, plus immediate membership in the Floral Design academic group
- Your personalized online student homepage and learning portal
- Additional resources such as our online library and career guidance from Career Cruising
What is the Floral Design Program like? Are there just books or also online guides? What do graduates go on to do?
The Floral Design Program uses textbooks and online guides to teach students proper techniques for arranging flowers, how to care for potted plants, and how to treat common plant problems. Career opportunities for Floral Design graduates include working for floral shops, wedding planners, professional nursery vendors, and in travel/tourism settings. Equipment such as floral wire, tape and cutters, and artificial flowers and wreaths are included in the program. There is also an extensive video collection available on the student pages.
More FAQs >