A Veterinary Technician helps diagnose and treat the illnesses and injuries of animals under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian. If you are considering a career as a veterinary technician, here are some qualities that will make you successful:
- Compassion: Veterinary technicians put the well-being of their animals first.
- Strength under pressure: Veterinary techs are able to focus on their work, even in stressful situations.
- Detail oriented: When it comes to caring for animals, every detail matters.
- Investigative: The challenge that comes with helping new and past patients is rewarding.
I know the Penn Foster staff and fellow veterinary technician students are there for me 24/7 and just a click away!
Linda D, Los Angeles, CA
Penn Foster gives me the chance to pursue a degree in an area that I'm passionate about from home while still running our family farm and business. By living in such a rural area, without Penn Foster, my dream of a vet tech degree would never become a reality.
Nicole S, Nashville, KS
For an online learning program, Penn Foster lets you follow your dreams, work at your own pace, and still have hands-on learning through the practicums. The veterinary technician program is tough, but when you are finished you sure can say that you earned every bit of your education.
Brenda D, Huntington, WV
We make sure you have everything you need:
- Graduate debt free with 0% interest
- Books and learning aids, including the textbook "Diagnostic Parasitology for Veterinary Technicians," written by one of our faculty members, Ed Robinson, BVetMed, MRCVS, PhD VT
- Study Planner App to customize your study plans and keep track of your progress
- Instructional support from our world-class faculty
- Access 24/7 to Penn Foster’s online campus, plus immediate membership in the Vet Tech academic group
- Your personalized student homepage and learning portal
- Additional resources such as our online library and career guidance from Career Cruising
- Access to our monthly Vet Tech newsletter, Tech Times
- Hands-on experience with two practicums through our partners, Banfield and VCA Animal Hospitals
When should I begin looking for my Vet Tech practicum location? Does Penn Foster provide any assistance?
Students should begin looking for a practicum location early in their second semester. Though Penn Foster provides students with the necessary tools to obtain a practicum site, it is the student's responsibility to ultimately obtain a suitable location for the practicum. As part of our partnerships with Banfield and VCA Animal Hospitals, students may obtain required practical experience at participating hospitals. Students also receive extensive mentoring and guidance from their Penn Foster practicum evaluator throughout the practicum.
How long will it take me to complete my Vet Tech program?
Completion times vary from person to person depending on the number of credits you can transfer to Penn Foster and the number of hours you can commit to studying each week. With our online Vet Tech program, you can choose a pace that's right for you, so you can progress as quickly as you'd like.
More FAQs >