This course gives an introduction to health care, the health information management industry, and the role that health information technicians play in that industry.
- Understand how to use your Student Portal.
- Access the Penn Foster Community and use it to find answers.
- Connect with Penn Foster on various social media sites.
- Describe reimbursement systems and the role health information management technicians play in reimbursement.
- Describe how technology is used in health information management.
- Discuss different professional organizations and certifications for health information management technicians.
- Explain the different roles, opportunities, and settings for health information management technicians.
This course is designed to help you understand the reimbursement process and the various methodologies involved. You’ll be introduced to billing cycles and how health information technology is used in medical offices, and learn about basic accounting transaction terminology and apply this information to enter patient charges and payments
- Discuss the history of electronic health records
- Perform administrative health information management functions
- Build an electronic health record
- Enter information into an electronic health record
- Utilize templates to increase productivity
Additional Course Materials
Textbook: The Electronic Health Record for the Physician's Office with SimChart for the Medical Office
Simulation: SimChart for the Medical Office
Learning Aid: Certification Test Prep