How to Find A Veterinary Externship Site

As one of a handful of online schools offering NAVTA-approved Veterinary Assistant courses and AVMA accredited Veterinary Technician classes, we maintain partnerships with corporate and private veterinary hospitals across the country. To fulfill the externship requirements for your program, you can use this tool to find potential sites near you, though it’s not required for your externship search.

Use the filter tool to search for preapproved sites to make your application process easier. Preapproved sites have worked with Penn Foster students in the past. Their externship site paperwork has already been approved, so you’ll be able to get started with your externship more quickly at one of these sites.

Step 1: Search

Enter your zip code below to find potential externship sites near you! You can adjust your search using the buttons below.

Step 2: Call

Call site you're interested in, discuss program details, and how to apply. It's up to the site and you to decide if you're a good fit for each other.

Locate an externship site near you

Store Locator is loading from Storemapper...

Can't find an externship site near you?

We're here to help! Contact us with any questions regarding your externship and finding a site at 1-888-427-1000 or by emailing [email protected].

For students enrolled through their employer, reach out to us at 1-833-VET-PENN.

Are you a veterinary clinic or hospital interested in taking Penn Foster externs?

Fill out this form and our team will contact you about becoming a preapproved externship site:

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the Veterinary Technician Externships Requirements?

Your first externship in Semester 2 focuses on skills related to office procedures and routine small animal procedures that must be performed at a companion animal general practice. Your second externship in Semester 4 focuses on radiology, advanced small animal procedures, and some large animal and small mammal skills. In order to complete all skills with required species you may need more than one externship site, and that’s ok! Both externships require that you gain experience as a veterinary technician under the supervision of an AVMA graduate that is a credentialed veterinary technician or certified veterinarian.

What are the Veterinary Assistant Externship Requirements?

The clinical externship portion of the Veterinary Assistant program is the last thing that must be completed before graduation. You must have completed all of your coursework, including the graded projects, and have at least a 65% lesson average to begin your externship.

Can I Get Paid for my Externship?

We do not regulate this. This will be up to your externship site. If they want to, we are fine with that!

When Will I Get My Paperwork for the Externship?

You’ll receive this information as part of your program as you get ready for your externship. You can also view more details in the Veterinary Academy Center (requires student login). Requirements and skills are established by the AVMA and occasionally go through revisions, so be sure to check back near to the time you’ll be completing your externship for the most up to date information.

Are There Any Medical Requirements?

Yes, students must have health insurance in order to be approved to begin. Please submit proof with completed approval paperwork.

A Rabies vaccine is not required, but you will have to sign a waiver stating that you understand the risk and agree not to work with patients of unknown vaccine status. Penn Foster does not provide this Rabies vaccine to students.

What is a Fast Track Lab?

A location where students can complete all Large Animal Externship Skills over a weekend or a couple of days at the student’s expense.